Sunday, April 06, 2008

Things that make you go hmmm.

Being in Italy as a foreigner causes a lot of these hmmm or huh moments. This morning was one. I was getting ready for church and I got a call from Rebecca, a fellow TEAM missionary in Umbertide. Her and her husband Thomas have helped me get settled in. They deserve much praise because without them I would not have a phone, internet or know where to buy groceries. Anyway, Rebecca calls to tell me that my landlord, Antonio, who speaks no English, is on his way to my apartment to drop off some chairs. She told him I would be leaving for church within the next half hour and he said he was close and to let me know he was coming. She was kind of chuckling as she passed on the message because even to her, who has lived her for 4 years, it was strange.
So Antonio rings the doorbell and I let him in and express that Rebecca had called to say he was coming. He brings in 4 new dinning room chairs. I have been able to communicate a little with him, so I attempt to ask "perche nouva sedia" (why new chairs). He repeated that he had called Rebecca and then said he thought I didn't have a chair in my bedroom. I showed him that I did, but somehow there still was a failure to communicate. So he left and I now have 4 more chairs in a dinning room that I never use and was hoping to convert into a living room.
It is at these moments that I have to laugh! But it still causes me to wonder, are my landlords just weird, is this normal Italian behavior, and will I ever truly understand half of the things that happen here.
I am sure if I was in America as an Italian I would have as many wonders about things that happened around me.
I hope you get a bit of a chuckle from it all because whenever I see these new chairs, I do.

1 comment: