Thursday, May 15, 2008

Assisi

Last Saturday a small group from my class in March went to Assisi for the day. The weather was perfect. The sun was shinning, but there was a marvelous breeze. We climbed to the top of the city and enjoyed laying on the grass. Laying down with my eyes closed it almost felt like I was at the beach. The sun was warming my back and the breeze would gently blow my hair. It was the most relaxed I have been since being in Italy. Not a care in the world, I listened to the wind, tuned out the voices around me and could picture myself on a beach in Mexico. The view from this place was spectacular and the funniest thing was that in some areas below where the wind was blowing the tall grass, it looked like water. The picture above is one of the views from this spot. We had fun walking all over the city and the guys were quite entertaining. Suleyman was nicknamed spider man after taking me up on a challenge to climb the wall of this castle. Of course only after he climbed up the wall did he think about the difficulty of getting down.
There was also some sort of festival happening the whole weekend and we got to see a bit of it before we finally left. In true Italian style, it was suppose to start around 3pm and I think it maybe began around 4pm. To have really enjoyed it, we should have bought tickets for a seat in front of the stage. Instead we stood behind a barricaded spot on the street, which only allowed me to get pictures with people's heads in the foreground.
It was still a great day and when we all got on the train to go home we were exhausted and some of us were a bit sunburned.

1 comment:

John Dotson said...

Spring has got to be beautiful there. Just what I've seen of the country side in Greece during the fall season it has to be gorgeous.

I'm glad that you're getting more comfortable in "going it alone" on the train.

P.S. Sorry, I'm new to this blogging thing - not that it's rocket science. I did try on the one about the bathing situation, but it was lost because I hadn't signed up.

Hey, how are the open air markets?