When I first came to Italy I wanted to learn the language and culture, but I did not realize how the lack of both can render you ineffective. Even though many Italians can understand English, especially in Bologna, my opinions or statements will not truly be respected until I can express them correctly in Italian, especially by teenagers. As I have moved into working on a team with Italians as well as ministering to teenagers, I have been reminded numerous times in the last month of my lack of language skills. Don't get me wrong, I have made amazing progress and I am grateful for how God has gotten me through this last year. I guess I am just realizing how much more I have to learn.
One thing that has been difficult is discovering that Italians have the ability to all speak at the same time and understand each other. I have had to learn that to speak while someone else is speaking is not rude, but just a part of having a discussion, which makes understanding even more difficult for me when I am in a group.
I am grateful for the people God has placed in my life to remind me of the work in progress that I am. I have had many days of going back to the original call that God gave me to come here and know that as He gave me the desire to be here and provided the means, He will continue to give me the strength and abilities to be used by Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment