Sunday, December 07, 2008

Thanksgiving in Italy!

As the Thanksgiving holiday approached I had mixed emotions. Part of me could easily ignore the day, because obviously no one here celebrates it. I even wondered if it might be better to let this holiday pass without celebrating it, in order to embrace the Italian culture. Then the other part of me started to become sentimental and miss all the festivities that the day brings: the Macy's parade, tons of food, relaxing with friends and football. As I processed through these feelings, I knew I could not just ignore the holiday. There had to be a balance between remembering my cultural traditions and living the Italian life. It ended up that the church put on a Thanksgiving Outreach Dinner, so I had my large dinner, time with friends, and didn't have to wash dishes (they are big on using plastic ware here).
It was nice to be able to use my holiday as a way to minister to others. Seven students from the University came with me to this event. We had quite the international table, three girls from Sweden, one from Croatia, one from Australia, another American and one girl from Malaysia. They got to experience good Thanksgiving food, a kind and loving environment, hearing the gospel, and they all received scripture calendars and an Italian New Testament.
So, as I spend this year learning language and culture I am also processing through my own "American-ness" and how to embrace this culture in away that is pleasing to the Lord.

No comments: