In my first week in Bologna I was able to join some ministry activities going on. There is a Campus Crusade summer project here for the month of June and I have gotten to go with them on the University campus a couple of days. The first day I went out with two girls and got to talk to some university students in Italian. Since they are in the period of finals the conversations are not long, but we got to talk a bit about their thoughts on spiritual things. I found it was hard for me to initiate conversations in English because I wanted to practice my Italian, but if I initiated in Italian it seemed that the Italian students would not speak English. The second day I decided it was better for the American students to initiate the conversations so the Italians would try to speak in English. It was refreshing to be able to talk to people about spiritual things and begin to get an idea of the how the students here think.
On Sunday I was able to help with a Youth for Christ outreach in the park. I found myself wanting to do things like I had done in the US. I realized that for this beginning period I need to watch and observe how the Italians do things, rather than instantly act or try to change things. I am grateful for Ester, the woman in charge of my internship, because she is open to my ideas and thoughts, but can also tell me the reasons behind the way they do things. The laws here seem to be a bit more strict than the US and to put on an event in a public place takes a lot of paperwork and permits.
My initial desire was to run full force and try to begin some activities in July, possibly an English Club in the park. I have now realized it is better spend some time observing the young people in the park, talking with Italian young people and parents, and gain a knowledge of good locations before I try launching an activity.
I will try to keep you posted on the more interesting things I learn and the entertaining mistakes that I make!
No comments:
Post a Comment